Now that we are a one income household it is important for us to watch our spending and I am always looking to save a $ here and there.
This quilt as you know has been a UFO for over 2 years. I finally got myself to finish it and it has now been quilted and bound and ready to hang. BUT there is a problem. It is 44” wide and not going to be easy to hang and isn’t going to look good unless it’s kept nice and straight at the top.
I decided to hang it with dowel, eyes and ribbon.
The first thing I did was to cut a 2” wide strip around 44” long.
I folded the raw ends in and then folded the strip in half so that the raw edges were together. I pressed it flat and then pinned the raw edge to the top raw edge of the quilt before I put the binding on.
I then put the binding on as I normally would and the pocket edge was sewn into the same seam. After sewing down the binding I stitched the folded edge of the pocket down to the back of the quilt.
Next I cut my dowling so that a small part of it poked out of each end of the pocket – In this case it was about 42” long.
I then screwed a brass eye into either end of it.
Finally I tied some ribbon to each eye to make a hanger.
So there you go – I was able to hang the quilt for just $4
And finally it is hanging on our bedroom wall
Today is the 1st March and the first day of Autumn here in Australia. 2 Months of this year have already passed us by but I am pleased to say that my little promise to myself of finishing 1 UFO per month is still in play. Next time I’ll show you the quilt I finished as my February UFO finish.
Thanks for the well wishes about my surgery. It went well and now I just have to be patient as it heals.